Hummus, hummus, hummus!
I love hummus and I love making new types of hummus! I first and foremost made this recipe because I had two nice avocados sitting on my counter that were ripe today, and tomorrow they would have been thrown into the chicken coop. I have this love-hate relationship with avocados, I love everything about them, and put them on or in everything I eat, but I hate how time sensitive their ripening process can be! Here is what I have learned over the years; when picking the perfect avocado 1.) Hold and give it a gentle squeeze- it shouldn’t be rock hard, it should give a little. 2.) The stem- if you pick it off and underneath is green then it still has time to ripen, if it is brown underneath then it is ripe! 3.) When you cut into the avocado you’ll know, sometimes you will regret slicing it open too early and you have gone past the point of no return– it won’t ripen after you cut it, just turn ugly gross brown. If the cuts easily and the knife sinks in and cuts like butter your are good to go!
11 things you didn’t know about Avocados:
- Avocados have about 35% more potassium than bananas
- Avocados are high in fiber: 1 cup of cubed avocado has ~10 grams of dietary fiber. That’s 40% of the recommended daily value!
- Avocados are also known as Alligator Pears in other parts of the world be cause of their outer texture and shape 😉 (hehe I like that one)
- Avocados grow on trees but can’t ripen until picked!
- Avocado’s ripen faster if stored with other fruits!
- Avocados can be frozen: peel and pit first and store in a glass air tight container with a few drops of lemon juice
- Avocados are not such a great snack for pets, they can be toxic to animals.
- Avocados makes the perfect baby food!
- You don’t have to buy organic avocados– their tough skin provides protection from pesticides.
- Avocados can be used in recipes in place of butter or oil!
- Avocados are delicious in smoothies! They add an extra boost of nutrients!
To make a nice presentation, and a pretty photo opportunity for my viewers :), I drizzled a little extra olive oil on top and sprinkled red pepper flakes! You could also put a dab of chopped garlic on top, chopped cilantro, or chopped nuts! Creativity is the key to tasty recipes!
Lime essential oil can add soooo much flavor to a recipe! I was excited when I found this recipe to follow because I knew I would have the opportunity to use some essential oils for flavor! I cut down the lime juice only by a little to them ‘make room’ for the lime essential oil flavor! If you don’t have lime essential oil you can buy it HERE, or just add a tablespoon more of fresh squeezed lime juice!
Enjoy this Avocado Lime Hummus Recipe and share with your friends! Make it to bring to your next party of gathering 🙂
- 2 ripe organic avocados
- 1 can organic garbanzo beans
- 2 organic limes juiced
- 2-3 drops of Lime Essential Oil
- 2 whole garlic cloves
- 3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste!
- Rinse and drain garbanzo beans and let dry, peel avocados.
- Combine all of the ingredients into a blender (Vitamix) and blend until smooth!
- Top off with chopped cilantro or red pepper flakes for a beautiful presentation!
- Serve chilled with fresh cut veggies, chips or use as a spread on your favorite sandwich!