An earache is an awful thing to experience. Although it is common in children, the adults who experience it, say it was the worst pain they have ever felt. Did you know that the majority of ear infections are caused by a virus which means they will not respond to antibiotics? Antibiotics also do not help the pain. Additionally, antibiotics can help drug-resistant bacteria grow. These bacteria are harder to kill. They can cause illnesses that are harder to treat. Antibiotics interfere with the production of white blood cells. When white blood cells are unable to fight infections, then recurrence of an infection is more likely.
So what can you do? Use Basil Essential Oil!
Basil is a powerful antispasmodic, antiviral, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and a muscle relaxant. It has been used for centuries to relieve many health ailments such as ear infections, migraines and throat, lung, respiratory (bronchitis and whooping cough). It is also a good remedy for insect/spider bites and helps fight mental fatigue. Basil is recommended for delayed menstruation, scanty periods and abdominal cramps.
Basil Essential Oil can help destroy the growth of microorganisms and especially pathogenic microorganisms. Scientists who published a study in 1997 in the International Journal of Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics divided 131 children into two groups: the homeopathic treatment group and the standard medical treatment group, which made use of antibiotics. The homeopathic treatment group recovered an average of a day faster than the antibiotic-using group.
In another study from 2005 published in the Journal of Infectious Diseases. The study was performed on rats infected with 2 types of bacteria that cause earaches and infections. The control group was given a placebo, while the test group received a swabbing on the outer ear canal of Basil essential oil. Results were pretty astonishing. The study states “the vapors of essential oils may potentially diffuse from the external ear canal into the middle ear in quantities that are sufficient to produce an antimicrobial effect on acute otitis media.”
Earache Remedy with Basil Essential Oil
- Place a few drops of basil essential oil on a cotton ball and push lightly into the ear.
- Allow the vapors to reach the infection.
- Change the basil cotton balls about 3 times a day until the infection is completely healed.
- Keep in mind that many essential oils on the market are not 100% pure and therapeutic; they potentially may have toxic extenders.
- I use and love doTERRA essential oils, I have had incredible success with them. You can read more about doTERRA essential oils here
- Purchase Basil Essential Oil and other doterra products HERE!