Basil or Sweet Basil (the plant that dōTERRA Basil Essential Oil is derived from) is a perennial found in warm climates or can be cultivated as an annual since it does not thrive well with frost. It is native to Asia but is now common in Europe and other areas. In Asia, it has been used for thousands of years for medicinal purposes being known in India as tulsi and is a common part of their herbal medicine. There are a number of varieties, but the one used for basil essential oil is the plant two to three feet high with oval hairy leaves and pink flowers. DōTerra Basil Essential Oil is from the family Lamiacea (Labiatae), the oil comes from the leaf of the plant, is steam distilled, and is grown in the United States
Basil has a warm, spicy, yet herbal aroma known to enhance memory function while reducing stress and tension. Basil essential oil provides restorative benefits to both the mind and body due to its high linalool content, making it an ideal application for sore muscles and joints and to reduce tension when applied to the temples and back of neck. Basil is commonly used in cooking to add a a fresh, herbal flavor to meats, pastas, and entree dishes, but it is also cooling to the skin and can be used to sooth minor irritations. When diffused, Basil helps promote clear breathing and healthy respiratory function while sharpening focus and lessening anxiety.
Primary Benefits of Basil Essential Oil:
- Soothes sore muscles and joints
- Assists in clear breathing
- Acts as a cooling agent for the skin
- Promotes mental alertness and lessens anxiety
Uses of Basil Essential Oil:
- Diffuse to sharpen focus while studying or reading.
- Apply to minor skin irritations. For sensitive skin, dilute with dōTERRA Fractionated Coconut Oil.
- Apply to fatigued or sore muscles and joints.
- Diffuse or apply topically to promote clear breathing.
- Diffuse or spray around doors and window seals to deter flies and insects.
Other Uses of Basil Essential Oil:
- Arthritic pain
- Calms nervous system – helps when there is excess cortisol
- Cholesterol, lowers – helps get off Lipitor or other cholesterol drugs. Works at the cellular level to stop the oxidation of cholesterol.
- Circulation, improves
- Earache – put on cotton ball and place in or behind ear
- Gastric spasms – apply topically to tummy
- Gastric ulcers – take orally in a capsule
- Headaches – apply topically to base of skull
- Menstrual cramps
- Muscle spasm
- Muscle tension