Black bean brownies are a delicious and nutritious twist to a traditional chocolate brownie. You might be nervous about baking with black beans, but don’t be–they have a very mild flavor and are extremely rich, creamy, and full of protein. I can’t even taste that beans once they are cooked, even my sons ate them, and they are never caught eating beans!! You can also boost the flavor of your brownie with essential oils such as Peppermint, Wild Orange, Cinnamon, or even Lavender. We used peppermint the past few times! So chocolaty and refreshing!
Black Bean Brownie Ingredients:
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained, and rinsed
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 4 drops Peppermint essential oil
- ¾ cup chocolate chips, divided
- 3/4 cup chopped or whole walnuts (optional)
Black Bean Brownie Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Place all ingredients, except for chocolate chips, in a blender or food processor (Vitamix) and blend until smooth.
3. Pour batter into large bowl and stir in ½ cup chocolate chips.
4. Pour into greased 8×8-inch pan and top with ¼ cup chocolate chips.
5. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Let cool and cut into pieces. Store in refrigerator! Because of the coconut oil, if you don’t store in your refrigerator the brownies get a little ‘wet’ and sloppy. Plus they are AMAZING cold:)
I make these and serve them when I host an Essential Oils Class! They are delicious and a really good example of how you can cook with essential oils!
Let me know how your brownies come out! Comment below 🙂
Recipe from DoTerra Blog