Here’s what you’ll need!
- 1/4 cup Baking Soda
- 1/4 cup Coconut Oil
- 1/4 cup Beeswax pastilles
- 1/4 cup Shea Butter
- 3 Tbsp Arrowroot Powder
- 3 capsules of a heat stable Live Probiotic- I used dōTERRA’s PB assist
- 10 drops Melaleuca Essential Oil
- 10 drops of Lavender or a Citrus oil for women and Cypress/Bergamot for men!
- Empty deodorant stick containers-This recipe will fill ~2 deodorant stick containers
Putting it all together to make DIY Deodorant with Essential Oils:
- Begin to melt together coconut oil and beeswax over a double boiler or in a sauce pan on medium heat
- Once melted, add all other ingredients; baking soda, shea butter, arrowroot powder, PB Assist, and the essential oils of your choice!
- Once everything has been melted and mix together, poor into the deodorant stick container!
- Keep container upright and leave the cap off and let the deodorant cool thoroughly. (You could help this process along by sticking in the fridge or outside since its -3 degrees outside! 😉
Why does my deodorant need a probiotic?!
Our skin is our largest organ. Because of this, everything we put on our skin is absorbed into our bodies, whether its good for us or very bad. It is important to put whole ingredients in everything we make, and avoid all the toxins/chemicals that we can! A probiotic will eliminate bad bacteria which is a major cause of body odor. Adding Cypress essential oil to your DIY Deodorant with Essential Oils may cause less sweating because it improves circulation!
If you have made your own deodorant in the past with baking soda and had a chemical burn or bad reaction, you can leave out the baking soda and just use the arrow root powder.
Original Recipe Found HERE!
I choose to make two different batches of deodorant today. For myself, I made Lavender & Lime (also one of my all-time-favorite diffuser combination) for my husband and boys I made the manly combination of Cypress & Bergamot!
Out of all the supplies you’ll need to make this DIY Deodorant with essential oils, arrowroot and beeswax are probably the two ingredients you’ll have to hunt and shop for, the rest are most likely in your home already. I bought my beeswax pastilles from Mountain Rose Herbs, and arrowroot from my local health foods store- Rob’s Red Mill arrowroot flour!
The beeswax pastilles melt faster and are easier to measure out! You can order them HERE!
Melt together coconut oil, Shea butter, and beeswax in a pan over medium heat.
Once melted together, add baking soda, arrowroot powder, and probiotic capsules. Stir until there aren’t any chunks left.
Pour liquid deodorant into your tube and let sit for a few hours to harden! I stuck mine in the fridge to hurry along the process.