Summertime is quickly approaching, and while many of you are loving the topical use of your favorite essential oils every day, it might be time to rethink the topical application of any citrus oils, or essential oil blends that contain the below citrus oils to avoid any possible burning. Citrus essential oils are photosensitive, and with topical use of these essential oils, you can become photosensitive as well!
- the result of being photosensitive
- abnormal sensitivity of the skin to ultraviolet light, usually following exposure to certain oral or topical drugs of to other sensitizing chemicals and resulting in accelerated burning and blistering of the skin.
The use of certain essential oils in combination with exposure to sunlight or UV ray can result in a topical burn and/or rash. When you know you’ll be in the direct sunlight, refrain from using the below essential oils topically!
- CLARY SAGE/CLARY CALM (contains: bergamot, patchouli, cinnamon)
- WILD ORANGE
- ELEVATION (contains: lemon, tangerine)
- PURIFY (contains: lemon and lime)
- CITRUS BLISS ( contains: wild orange, lemon, bergamot)
- SLIM & SASSY (contains: grapefruit, lemon, ginger, cinnamon)
Wait a minimum of 12 hours before going into the sun when using photosensitive oils. Wait 24 hours after applying photosensitive oils topically to sit in direct sunlight. Wait 48 hours after the use of Bergamot!!!
” But I’m in the sun all the time and I want to continue using these citrus oils?! “
Diffusion of these citrus essential oils can be safe to use instead of topical use. By diffusing essential oils aromatically, the particles of the oils are not concentrated enough in one spot to cause the same level of photosensitivity as when applying the oils topically.
Even the use of sunscreen over top of a photosensitive essential oil applied topically will not prevent the possibility of a burn/rash!
The use of these citrus oils internally and topically combined may lead to even worse, accelerated burns/rashes. Please be very cautious and safe when using and applying citrus essential oils and spending time in the sun! 🙂
If you have already experienced a sun burn and think its a result of the topical application of a photosensitive oil use the following…..
- Aloe Vera
- Coconut Oil
- Lavender Essential Oil (diluted)
- Sunburn Relief Spray
- and take a break from the direct sun for a little while 😉