Extraction Method: Cold Pressed
Aromatic Description: Citrus, floral, fruity
Referred to as a “forbidden fruit” and one of the “Seven Wonders of Barbados,” Grapefruit was first documented in 1750 by Welshman Rev. Griffith Hughes. The names “grapefruit” is attributed to the fruits growing in clusters which resemble those of grapes. Known for its energizing and invigorating effect, Grapefruit is also renowned for its cleansing and purifying benefits. It is beneficial for oily skin issues and helps to purify as it cleanses. Grapefruit is frequently used in skin care for its ability to promote clear, healthy skin and in weight loss products to support healthy metabolism.
Uses for Grapefruit Essential Oil:
- Diffuse to sharpen focus while studying or reading.
- Apply to insect bites or minor irritations. For sensitive skin, dilute with dōTERRA Fractionated Coconut Oil.
- Apply to fatigued or sore muscles and joints
- Diffuse or apply topically to help clear congested areas.
Directions for using Grapefruit Essential Oil:
- Diffusion: Use three to four drops in the diffuser of your choice
- Internal Use: Dilute one drop in 4 fl. oz. of liquid
- Topical Use: Apply one to two drops to desired area. Dilute with dōTERRA Fractionated Coconut Oil to minimize any skin sensitivity.
- Cautions: Possible skin sensitivity. Keep out of reach of children. If you are pregnancy, nursing, or under a doctor’s care, consult your physician. Avoid contact with eyes, inner ears, and sensitive areas. Avoid sunlight or UV rays for up to 12 hours after applying product
Primary Benefits of Grapefruit Essential Oil:
- Cleanses and purifies
- Beneficial for oily skin issues
- Supports healthy metabolism
- Helps reduce mental and physical fatigue
Grapefruit Essential Oil & Emotions!
Grapefruit teaches true respect and appreciation for one’s physical body. It supports individuals who struggle to honor their physical body and are caught in patterns of mistreatment. These forms of abuse may include severe dieting, judging one’s body weight or type and abusing the body through negligent behavior or violence. These acts are often motivated by a hate and disgust buried within the psyche which gets directed toward the physical body. Though the individual may obsess over how they look, deep down they never feel they look good enough. There is a dissatisfaction that persists.
Grapefruit Essential Oil is often misused in overly strict dietary and weight-loss programs. The reason this oil helps curb emotional eating is because it encourages a positive relationship with one’s physical body based on love, tolerance and acceptance. Grapefruit encourages integrity by respecting one’s physical needs. Grapefruit essential oils assists an individual in listening to their true physical needs and impulses. It also assists one in taking responsibility for what they feel. Grapefruit essential oil teaches that no amount of food can fill a hole in the heart- only love can do that. As the individual takes ownership of their feelings and gets the help they need in addressing them, they no longer have a need to hide their feelings behind food, body abuse, strict regimens, eating disorders or other forms of addiction.
Emotions Addressed: Hate for the body, addiction to food or dieting, eating disorders, anxiety over appearance
Companion Oils: Patchouli, Fennel, Slim & Sassy, InTune
Information from dōTERRA Tools & book Emotions & Essential Oils
- For a hangover, breathe in the aroma of the oil.
- Grapefruit essential oil is rich in the antioxidant d-limonene, which is can support your body’s natural defenses. Add a drop or two to your drinking water, sparkling water, or even to lemon-lime soda.
- Diffuse to promote a cheery, summertime ambiance.
- Add a drop of grapefruit oil to a mug of warm water to help with digestive issues.
- Inhale out of the bottle as a natural mood booster.
- Diffuse to help promote alertness at your desk, in your bedroom in the morning to help wake up, and in kids’ rooms about 30 minutes before wake-up time.
- Add a couple of drops to the water bottle you drink from during the day for a continual energy boost.
- Inhale or diffuse to help enhance memory. Shown to help with Alzheimer’s.
- For swollen feet and ankles, apply on site either neat or diluted with coconut oil.
- To help get rid of cellulite, apply topically neat or diluted with coconut oil.
- Make a homemade sugar scrub with grapefruit oil.
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 Tbsp. cold-pressed vegetable oil (avocado oil, coconut oil, olive oil, almond oil)
- Add 6 drops of grapefruit oil right before using and mix in.
- Use in the bath and shower to exfoliate, nourish, moisturize, and tone the skin.
12. To help promote weight loss, add a few drops of grapefruit oil to drinking water (use glass containers) and drink. Grapefruit oil not only helps dissolve cellulite when applied topically, but helps detoxify and shrink fat cells!
14. Replace toxic beverages such as sodas and aspartame-laden “weight loss” drinks with grapefruit oil in your water. Delicious flavor, helps the body detoxify, zero calories.