If you haven’t taken your slow cooker out in a while, now is the time! I used to cook a lot in the crock pot when my boys were younger and we were ‘busier’ (if that was even a thing) 😉 but now I am re-exploring the idea of putting a meal in the crock pot and then magically having dinner ready when dinner time comes! There is a lot to be said about the simplicity of crock pot meals, but all I need to say is this recipe has climbed to the top of my list! From the Taylor table to yours, enjoy this Healthy Chicken Teriyaki Recipe! Check out the recipe below and if you make it one night, let me know how your family enjoys it!
The recipe I followed called for fresh or ground ginger, which I had both of, I just choose to be adventurous and use my doterra Ginger Essential Oil instead! Just a drop or two mixed in with the soy sauce combo! Not too powerful, just enjoy gingery tang!
To make things even easier, when I combined all the ingredients I just shook them up in a mason jar 🙂
Pour over your chicken and chopped onions
I don’t think you can overdo it on the sesame seeds personally, I LOVE THEM! I even added more on my plate after I served it!
Serve your Healthy Chicken Teriyaki Recipe over a plate was rice! Enjoy! 🙂
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup chopped white onion
- ½ cup honey
- ½ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp. chopped fresh ginger OR 2 drops of Ginger Essential Oil
- ⅛ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup cold water
- 3 tbsp. cornstarch
- Optional; sesame seeds! (they were a must for my family but not everyone enjoys them as much as us!)
- Add the clean chicken breasts to the bottom of your slow cooker in a single layer
- In a separate bowl; whisk together garlic, onion, honey, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, ginger, and black pepper.
- Pour the mixture on top of the chicken breasts and sprinkle with desired amount of sesames seeds.
- Cover slow cooker, and cook on high for 4-5 hours, or until the chicken is cooked through and shreds easily with a fork. Removed the chicken with a slotted spoon to separate bowl and shred it using two forks.
- Transfer the remaining teriyaki sauce from the slow cooker to a medium saucepan.
- Meanwhile in a separate bowl, whisk together the cold water and corn starch until the cornstarch is dissolved and no longer lumpy.
- Pour cornstarch into the teriyaki sauce, and whisk to combine. Bring mixture to a boil over medium-heat, and let it boil for about 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat, and pour the sauce on top of the shredded chicken. Toss to combine!
- Serve over rice and sprinkle with more sesame seeds!