Ancient records show that Myrrh was deemed so valuable that at times it was valued as its weight in gold. Myrrh essential oil is derived from the gummy resin of the small, thorny Myrrh tree and has been used for centuries for its internal and external health benefits. Referenced in the Bible as the Balm of Gilead, Myrrh has been used throughout history as a perfume, incense, and medicine. It was also employed in embalming and religious ceremonies. Myrrh has powerful cleansing properties, especially for the mouth and throat. It is also soothing to the skin-promoting a smooth, youthful looking complexion- and promotes emotional balance and well-being.
Uses for Myrrh Essential Oil:
- Add 1-2 drops to toothpaste for added cleansing benefits and to promote oral health.
- Diffuse to help promote awareness and uplift your mood.
- Add to your lotion/moisturizer to help reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Add 1-2 drops to 1/4 cup of water with a little agave or honey to help stomach aches.
Directions for use of Myrrh Essential Oil:
- Diffusion: Use three to four drops in the diffuser of your choice
- Internal Use: Dilute one drop in 4 fl. oz. of liquid
- Topically Use: Apply one to two drops to desired area. Dilute with dōTERRA Fractionated Coconut Oil to minimize any skin sensitivity.
- Cautions: Possible skin sensitivity. Keep out of reach of children. If you are pregnant, nursing, or under a doctor’s care, consult your physician. Avoid contact with eyes, inner ears, and sensitive ears.
Primary Benefits of Myrrh Essential Oil:
- Powerful cleansing properties, especially for the mouth and throat
- Soothing to the skin; promotes a smooth, youthful-looking complexion
- Promotes emotional balance and well-being
The Oil of Mother Earth
Myrrh oil nurtures the soul’s relationship with it’s maternal mother and with the earth. This oil supports individuals who have had disturbances with the mother-child bond. Whether it is a division between the child and the biological mother or whether it be mother earth herself, Myrrh can help bridge the gap and heal the disturbance. This division or lack of attachment may be related to adoption, birth trauma, malnourishment, experiences of abandonment, or other childhood issues. Myrrh helps the soul to feel the love and nurturing presence of “Mother.” Similar to the nutrient-rich colostrum found in a mother’s milk, Myrrh oil inoculates individuals from the adverse and harmful effects of the world. Like the warmth of a mother’s love for her child, Myrrh assists individuals in feeling safe and secure.
Emotions Addressed: Disrupted maternal connection, distrust of others, feeling unsafe in the world, malnourished
Companion Oils: Clary Sage, Clary Calm, Frankincense, Balance